Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuesday Tutorial

Hi everyone it's Dawn here for your Tuesday Tutorial.. I have had several requests on how I print a digi image on fabric so I thought I would give you a little tutorial..

Things I use:
Piece of cotton fabric (it needs to be thin so that is why I picked cotton)
Digi Image
Printer
Double Sided Tape or temporary spray adhesive
Markers ( Sharpies work well)

First print out your digital image on a piece of thin white cardstock.  Not copy paper.
I usually center mine in the middle of my page. 


I then take my double sided tape and tape all the way around the edges on the wrong side.

I then tape my fabric down on top of my digi image that I printed out.. This way you know that it is centered in the middle of my piece of fabric.
Now I put the fabric and paper through the printer.  This can be tricky and this is why you want your edges all taped down to the cardstock.  It can get jammed in your printer. 

Now you can pull the fabric away from the paper.. The paper is just a way to keep it stable in the printer.
Now I colored it.. I have tried copics and the ink really runs outside the lines.  I think the best markers for this are Sharpies but I did use some other markers that were pretty good. 

 This is my finished colored piece..

Want to see what I created with this piece of fabric.. Come back tomorrow and I will show you.. I am the hostess for the PCP challenge this week..  :)

P.S.  I wanted to give full credit for this technique to my friend Holly Young.

6 comments:

Sheri Gilson said...

Fabulous tutorial, Dawn!!

Gloria Westerman said...

Now that's awesome.....I will have to try this too....thank you for sharing...

Rhonda Miller said...

Wow, that's pretty cool. I never would have thought to print on the fabric.

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Very cool! But I'm too chicken to stick fabric in my printer! Could be an expensive mistake if I mess up! LOL!

CraftCrave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DHalsema said...

Awesome tutorial Dawn! Thank you for sharing :) Can't wait to try it :) Have a very blessed day :)