Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday Tutorial: Pop-Top Gift Can


I know by now you all know that I am a sucker for all things containers, especially those that can be used as gift wrap for little treats!  How about altering a can that the recipient pops the top on to find a special treat inside, just for them?? These pop-top  surprise cans are some that I have admired from afar and wanted to try for ages, so today I am sharing the instructions with you!

What You Will Need:
Pop- Top Can (I used a small can of peaches...)
Liquid Adhesive (I used Tombow Mono Multi-- my fave!)
Decorative Cardstock
Embellishments
"Safe-Edge" Can Opener
Whimsie Doodles Stamps (of course!)

Step 1
Flip your can over and using your safety edge can opener, remove the bottom of the can and empty its contents.  Clean the can and the bottom you have just removed.

 Step 2
Next, decorate the outside of your can as desired....
Step 3
Fill the can with small prizes, money, candy or even if a gift card, depending on the size of the can you have chosen to use.  I filled this can using tiny plastic dinosaurs for my son's buddy.  I also stuffed crinkled paper underneath them, so that they wouldn't wiggle around so much and give away the surprise!

Step 4
When you used your safety edge can opener, it created a small lip that you can add adhesive to.  Add your adhesive and hold it tightly in place for a couple of minutes (or if you are impatient like me, you can place something heavy on top for a couple of minutes.)

Step 5
Flip your can over and add your embellishments!  I had this super cute fishie paper and decided to use only a super cute sentiment to make a tag!  The sentiment is from the Whimsie Doodles set, Shell-a-Bration!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a totally brilliant idea!!! I will never look at a ring pull can in the same light ever again now!
Thanks for sharing!
Viv xx

Sheri Gilson said...

Fabuous Tutorial Nikki!! I have always wondered how these were made...can't wait to give it a try!!

LindaC said...

Good job Nikki!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [16 Feb 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria