Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesday Tutorial Creating stamped backgrounds

Have you ever loved the colour of your cardstock and wished it had a pattern to match your stamps?  Well that's actually a really easy fix, all you need is your favorite image, ink and a few minutes.

Random stamping a background with a single stamp using different inks can create different  and beautiful results.

1. Start by selecting the stamp you want to use to create a background.  I used the star cluster in the Baby Joy stamp set.

2. Number the stamp back ink in yellow and stamp on cream cardstock.

Numbering  the back of the stamp will help you keep track of the image as you rotate it. In this photo the large star is labeled #1.
3. Rotate and stamp.  Repeat until you have the entire area covered.
Stamp an area larger than you need and trim the access off.  Always stamp off the page to create a more realistic look.
Here's a card using Yellow ink on cream cardstock.
Using different inks can give you completely different results with the same technique.
Here's a card using Versa Mark on Kraft paper.
In the next example I choose 3 seperate images and placed them on an acrylic block.  It's important to arrange individual images at odd angels to each other.
For best results use odd numbers!
 Ink the image, stamp, rotate and repeat.
 Here's the card I made with this background.
I also sponged the edges in pink to soften the look of the card.

Have a great day!

12 comments:

Dawn said...

Great information! Never thought to do this...

LindaC said...

This is great information to have. Never thought about numbering the back of the stamp to keep up with placement. Thanks for posting this. LC

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Great tutorial....I have tried using one stamp at a time and it never looks right. Now I know what to do to fix that problem! Thanks!!

Diane Louise J said...

Thanks you have inspired me to 'have a go'.... Diane xxx

Linda said...

Great tip! I love it!

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn Borjeson said...

This is really great - I have been stamping and making cards for almost 10 years, and had kind of "forgotten" about this technique. I guess I've spoiled myself with designer papers and such - but this is fun and such a GREAT idea. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Cornville Country Crafts said...

Thank you, you are full of great ideas!!

Mary J said...

Lovely tips, thanks for sharing!

Fairy Cardmaker, Lisa said...

Thanks for showing us this process. Whenever I try it, it always looks fake to me. Yours looks so natural!

Jen Shults said...

GREAT tutorial and GORGEOUS cards!! thanks for sharing this!

Mary Decker said...

I just stumbled across your blog through Pinterest. Your tutorials are EXCELLEnt!

Thank you for the work you do. You are clever and inspirational.

MissMary